Silver Spring based criminal defense lawyer Asher Weinberg understands the severity of being charged with a sex crime. Simply being accused of a sex crime in Maryland is a serious matter that could cost you your freedom and ruin your reputation. Prosecution and conviction will result in severe penalties, including imprisonment and mandatory registration as a sex offender. Being arrested for a sex crime can result in a lifelong stigma where you live and work. When your freedom and good name are at risk, that’s the time to consult with a tough criminal defense attorney.
The Law Office of Asher Weinberg routinely defends clients against sex crimes in criminal court throughout the state of Maryland. Whether you who were wrongly accused due to mistaken identity or falsely accused out of revenge, he will work tirelessly to protect your rights and clear your name. When you become his client, you can trust that he will never stop fighting for you.
Maryland Sex Crimes
Sex offenses can involve either consensual acts such as prostitution and soliciting, activity that does not involve sexual contact or sexual activity that is forced on the victim. His office handles a wide range of criminal charges such as misdemeanor and felony sex offenses, including:
- Sexual assault — Referred to as “sexual offense” in Maryland, engaging in any unconsensual sexual act with another person by force, or threat of force.
- Rape — Engaging in vaginal intercourse with another person through the use of force or the threat of force, without the victim’s consent, can be charged as rape in the first or second-degree depending on factors such as whether a weapon was used or whether the victim was seriously injured.
- Indecent exposure — The willful and intentional exposure of one’s private parts (genitals, buttocks, female breast), in a public place, and in the presence of others.
- Child sexual abuse — Includes child molestation, fondling, or inappropriate touching of a child, sexual activity with anyone 14 or younger, with or without his or her consent, is considered rape.
- Child pornography — Possessing, producing, distributing, selling, purchasing, transporting, electronically transmitting, or viewing any visual depiction of a child engaging in sexual activity.
- Prostitution/Solicitation — Engaging in sex acts in return for cash or something of value, or offering money to another person in exchange for sexual activity.
- Failure to register as a sexual offender — Convicted sex offenders are required to register with the state and must provide local authorities of details about their current address, occupation and other relevant information.
- Statutory rape — Maryland’s sexual offense laws include prohibitions on sexual contact between an adult and a minor under the age of statutory consent (16 years of age).
Defenses to Sex Crimes in Maryland
Because sex crimes are egregious offenses that are taken very seriously, it takes a skilled criminal defense attorney to protect your rights. At the Law Office of Asher Weinberg, they know how to assert a number of criminal law defenses against sex crimes charges and the state prosecutor. This includes:
- Pretrial Defenses — Prevent an indictment by presenting evidence of your innocence (e.g. polygraph test result, psychological evaluations), uncovering prior false accusations made by the alleged victim, or providing the court with letters attesting to your good character.
- Defenses at Trial — The strongest defense at trial is to have an alibi (you were not at the scene when the crime was committed), and they are not trying the correct defendant. It may also be possible for the criminal lawyer to show that you were wrongly accused due to mistaken identity or that the sexual activity was not an offense because it was consensual.
- Affirmative Defenses — This not an admission of guilt, but rather an explanation to the jury as to why the criminal offense should not be considered a crime, either because the victim consented to the sexual activity, or that you did not use force, threats of force, or place the alleged victim in fear of harm.
Contact Our Silver Spring Sex Crimes Defense Attorney
Being accused, or facing arrest due to an alleged sex crime is a serious matter and a conviction will not only lead to imprisonment but lasting damage your reputation. With so much at stake, it is critically important to call the Law Office of Asher Weinberg. They are well-versed in the applicable sex offense laws in Maryland, have experience in criminal cases and the criminal justice system, and are highly regarded for being a tenacious criminal defense attorney.
He will take the time to explain all of your rights, conduct an extensive investigation, uncover evidence of your innocence, and fight tirelessly to preserve your freedom. Although I have a proven track record of winning acquittals in sex crime cases, I will be honest about your prospects at trial. Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to have the charges and penalties reduced.
In any event, I will work to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family. When your good name has been called into question by a sex crimes allegation, that’s the time for aggressive legal representation. Please contact my office today to set up a free consultation.
The Law Offices of Asher Weinberg is located in Silver Spring and provides sex crimes defense throughout Maryland including Montgomery County, Prince George County, Howard County, and Anne Arundel County.