When you’ve been charged with a crime, the first thing you should do is hire a Maryland criminal defense lawyer. An experienced criminal defense lawyer will aggressively fight your charges in order to give you the best possible chance of avoiding conviction. Below are some tips on how to choose a Maryland criminal defense lawyer.
How to begin your search
There are several ways you can begin your search for a Maryland criminal defense attorney, including:
- Referrals – Friends and family are a great place to start when beginning your attorney search. However, make sure that you ask for criminal attorney referrals, as lawyers who don’t practice criminal law won’t have the experience required to give you the best shot at a successful outcome.
- Online – The internet is another great place to begin your attorney search. Search for attorneys in your area who practice criminal law. When reviewing law firm websites, check to see if the attorney or firm handles the specific issue that you need help with. For example, if you’ve been charged with a DUI, review the firm’s website to ensure that they are experienced in Maryland DUI defense work.
Questions to ask your prospective criminal defense lawyer
When meeting with a prospective attorney for the first time, below are some helpful questions to ask:
- Is criminal law one of your primary practice areas?
- How many years have you been practicing criminal law?
- What is your success rate in having criminal charges reduced?
- What is your success rate in having criminal charges dropped?
- What percentage of your cases go to trial?
- How many cases have you handled that are similar to mine? What were the results of these cases?
- If I hire you, will I be working with you directly, or will I be assigned to another attorney?
- Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat fee?
- Can you provide me with an estimate for my total legal fees?
Silver Spring Criminal Defense Attorney
When you’ve been charged with a crime, it can be difficult to know where to turn. At the Law Office of Asher Weinberg, we understand the anxiety brought on by criminal charges, and we base our mission on the ideal that each accused person is innocent until proven guilty. With this principle in mind, attorney Asher Weinberg works tirelessly to defend his clients against criminal charges of all kinds, including minor misdemeanors and felony charges. Specifically, the Law Office of Asher Weinberg routinely represents clients in the Silver Spring area charged with DUI and DWI, sex offenses, drug crimes, traffic violations, violent crimes, and theft crimes. Regardless of the type of crime you’ve been charged with, your case will be handled with the utmost care and respect as our criminal defense law firm aggressively represents you in an effort to achieve the best possible result in your case. If you are facing DUI, DWI, or other criminal charges in Maryland, please contact us today for a consultation.
Posted in: Criminal Defense